In an effort to help Instructors track and assess competencies, we created a mechanism to tag Exercises with specific competencies. At the moment, only Organization Administrators can create tags. Once tags are created for a specific Organization, Instructors can then add competency tags to their Exercises. Using the competency tags, Instructors will be able to track Learner's growth over a series of Exercises.
The following article explains:
- How does an Administrator add competencies?
- How can an Instructor tag Exercises with specific competencies?
- How can an Instructor use competencies to assess Learner growth?
How does an Administrator add competencies?
To add competencies your organization will use to track Learner growth, follow these steps:
- Visit your Organization Management dashboard by hovering over your email address and select Org Settings from the dropdown.
- Select Manage Competencies under Organization Management
- Select the green Create New List button. Lists help you manage subsets of competencies under a particular category (e.g. Communication Skills may be a list title and competencies under that list may include: clear, concise, etc...)
- Name your list, select a color for your list (colors will help you visually manage subsets of competencies), and select the green Create List button.
Identify the competency (this will be displayed to your Learners on the Exercise page). This has a discrete character limit to ensure it doesn't interfere with the Learner's user experience of participating in an Exercise.
- Optional. Add a description to help the Learner fully understand the competency. This will show up when you hover over the tag.
- Select the green Add Competency button
How does an Instructor tag Exercises with specific competencies?
Once an Administrator adds competencies, an Instructor can assign specific competencies to their Exercises. To do so, an Instructor must follow these steps:
- Visit the relevant Exercise and select the Admin dropdown, then select Edit Exercise
- Under Set up click your cursor in the box under Add Competencies to your Exercise
- Select the competencies you would like to associate with your Exercise
- Select the green Update Exercise button (in the navigational bar or the end of the Exercise)
How can an Instructor use competencies to assess Learner growth?
Instructors can track Learners' competency acquisition at the Group level. To do this, an Instructor must follow these steps:
- Visit the relevant Group's Management Page. Select Group Report.
- The middle of the Group Report displays a competency report
The report breaks down the competency, the average peer (i.e. Learner) score, the average Instructor score, and identifies low performers in your Group.